As a homage to Afro-Cuban jazz pianist, composer and arranger Chucho Valdés, the Victor Social Club created a signature cocktail – The Victor Valdés – for SpoletoSips 2018.
To celebrate this year’s Spoleto Festival USA, five Charleston restaurants created signature SpoletoSips inspired by various performances and artists.
Here is our recipe:
THE VICTOR VALDÉS
A blend of white, aged and coconut rums plus Creole Shrubb, house-made Falernum and fresh lime juice
- Pour 2 oz. of an aged rum, a coconut rum and a light rum into a shaker
- Add 3/4 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice
- Add 3/4 oz. Falernum
- 4 oz. Wray & Nephew Rum
- 4 oz. Ed Hamilton 151 Demerara Rum
- 4 oz. peeled and chopped ginger
- 6 limes zested, no juice
- 4 Tbsp cloves toasted with 6 Tbsp almonds
- Mix together in a 16 oz. mason jar, steep for 7 days
- Strain all rum out, squeeze through a cheesecloth
- Combine 1:1 with simple syrup
- Add 1/2 oz. Creole Shrub
- Shake, strain over ice
- Serve with a slice of lime
The Chucho Valdés Quartet will perform during Spoleto at the Charleston Gaillard Center on Thursday, May 31, at 7 p.m. Tickets are on sale now.
The Victor Social Club will feature The Victor Valdes on its cocktail menu during the 17-day festival. Join us downtown to taste the best cocktails in Charleston!